Saturday, June 30, 2007

Gustafer (honoring Rhett's great taste in music)

I guess it’s time for me to post an entry on this blog, since it is titled “Autumn and Dan’s Family.” Autumn has posted often about Rhett’s love for good music. So, a while ago, I thought about posting a list of the best (and least annoying) kids music that we had found. However, there are so many other blogs and websites that have done this, I figured I wouldn’t be adding anything new. In fact, there are several blogs that are dedicated to informing people about “cool” kids music. For example, see cooltunesforkids.blogspot.com (and the links to approximately 20 other Sites and Blogs with Kids' Music Stuff).

But recently, I stumbled upon a great musical character for kids named Gustafer Yellowgold. It is so good, and Rhett loves it so much, I decided I had to post a blog about it. Illustrator/songwriter Morgan Taylor is the creator of Gustafer Yellowgold, a character from the Sun who befriends otherwise friendless beings like a flightless pterodactyl, a crying green bee, a dragon who makes his home in a fireplace, and an eel. Morgan has opened for Wilco, The Polyphonic Spree and also plays bass in The Autumn Defense.

The catchy music and colorful characters are great for Rhett, and the interesting song structures and creative lyrics make it great (and not annoying) for me! As the New York Times said, it’s a cross between Yellow Submarine and Dr. Suess. The CD also comes with a DVD, which puts illustrations to the music. So, anyhow, watch the following and decide for yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure i will get to hear this music soon. Love Gramps - Dad