Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Little Bit About Rhett

A little bit about Rhett. It explains his drum kit request.

Rhett is a drummer. He has been since he was tiny. When he was 21 months he would set up all the Christmas tins and play drums, so all of our Christmas tins have drum stick dents. When he was almost 3 he asked Santa for bongo drums. Santa said, "I've never been asked for bongo drums." Rhett said, "How did Santa know bongo drums have two drums?"

Rhett has big plans for his life. When he is 12 he will be in a band. When he is a Dad he will be an Astronaut. If you ask him if he is going to be an artist, because of his great drawing skills he will say, "No, I'm not going to be an artist. I'll be in a band when I'm 12 and an astronaut when I'm a Dad."

So, a request for a drum kit isn't a surprise. When we go over to the Rice's, Jeremy is so kind to have the drums set up for him. He doesn't bang the drums...he actually has rhythm and plays the drums. I don't think I'm just bias, because others have said this to me. Unless, they were just being nice. We went to the drum store the other day. Rhett sat with headphones on the electric drums for a good 30 minutes. Quietly-playing-drums. It was sort of nice...for a boy who DOESN'T play quietly, because...he's a drummer. Oh, and I must tell you...just a little more bragging. The drum store worker said they spend months trying to get kids to hold the drum sticks the way Rhett was holding them.

So...yes, he is young, but he is a drummer. I really hope Santa can come through...

6 comments:

Elisha said...

Bragging is okay! All of our kids have their area of genius. And after meeting Rhett I must say that he is a special boy :) Very smart indeed. I am sure that your brother being in a band contributes to his desire right?!
He and Chloe will be in space together since she has decided to be a "space archaeologist"!

Rachel Clear said...

I hope Santa comes through too.

And also, you are brave. :)

Julie said...

I miss Rhett. I have a very favorite photo of a certain little man entertaining a certain group of employees while a couple of new mommies attempted to maintain composure while waiting for the driver to take them to the place where they would be handed the most precious gifts of all....

paige said...

You know, I bet Yo Yo Ma's ma bragged about him when he was a boy. Talent shines through!

Remind Santa to check craigslist--all sorts of good things there.

riggity said...

Awesome. I love how dedicated he is to his [performing] art.

The drums are set up in the basement waiting any time.

dad-gramps said...

The drums are great and sounds like he would have all sorts of support from family and friends. Many drum players have become great guitar players, Dave Matthews and Dave Groul come to mind. . . Gramps hopes he doesn't put down his guitar because he has something going there also but I have also heard him over a year ago on a full set of drums and back then he had it going on. . . I hope Santa can do his drive by with a set of Drums for our next "little drummer boy". . . Future space traveler.

P.S. Rachel was right again. . . You are BRAVE!!