Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Year Ago Part 4

Shortly after we arrived at the House of Hope...Mezmur was placed in my arms. It is hard to describe the feeling. It was surreal, I felt nervous, I was scared, and obviously a weight was lifted and I felt complete. I was so happy to finally have our daughter in our arms. This was the very first photo of Mezmur after she was handed to me. She was very interested in my hair.
So, remember when I told you Rhett wasn't sure of the new photos of Mez? Well, at home, he would say, "I don't want a sister anymore." I was terrified that he would run from the room screaming about how he didn't want a sister. I was sooooo wrong...thank, God. He walked over so calmly, touched her head, and said, "She is so much prettier than her picture." It was instant love between Mez and Rhett.


You see that face? That sweet little face? When I see this photo it makes me a little sad. Our baby was so scared that first day. She was literally frozen in fear. Even today when she is nervous or unsure she gets really quiet and emotionless.

We couldn't get over (and still can't) how beautiful her skin was. I had never seen such a perfect shade of brown.
This is Mezmur's first toy, Sophie the giraffe. She was 7 1/2 months old and she never had a toy. She didn't put Sophie down the whole trip. She would fall asleep chewing on her leg. Today, Sophie is so dirty and the squeaker broke when I boiled her in Ethiopia. That toy brings back a lot of memories...like, this was the first time she opened her mouth and I could see she had two teeth.

It was a busy day for this little girl. She was taken from all she knew and the only people she knew. It took her one day to become comfortable with us and prefer us. Only one day. This amazes me. This baby girl went through so much in 7 short months and it blows me away how resilient she was...and still is.
This day means so much to us. To me, it is similar to a birthday. This was the day the nanny handed me this baby and told me she was mine. This was the first moment I was able to touch her and look into her eyes. The first time I fed her and changed her diaper. I carry these memories the same way I do the day Rhett was born. I will always remember the way the room looked and felt when we were waiting for Mezmur to arrive and I will never forget how I felt the second she was handed to me.

19 comments:

Mark and Heidi said...

Ok, this really got the water works going over here! Beautiful post. Congratulations on a year together :-)

Chika said...

This brings tears to my eyes, she always makes me smile. So glad that I get to see her at school!

Julie said...

I remember too. And I always thought the same of Mezmur's skin. Amazing and deep and perfect.
I knew I would cry when you posted about this.
What a special day indeed. Precious Mezmur.

sarah said...

Such a wonderful post! It made me cry a little bit!

naskren said...

I cry nearly every time I watch a video of a mother meeting her adopted child. and now, I can add to my list crying at pictures and a description of a mother meeting her child. good stuff :)

courtney rose said...

Making me cry over here....

Jill said...

Tears here too. I love the way you are revisiting this. I never wrote much of anything about our trip to Ethiopia (it was too raw in the beginning). I've often wanted to go back and blog about the trip but was unsure how to do it. I may try your idea! It would be nice to relive it day by day and recapture those moments.

Rachel Clear said...

This was beautiful, Autumn. These words will fire right to Mez's heart as well when she's old enough to read them.

Your description was incredible, moving, and perfect.

Sarah said...

She was, and still is, such a beauty. Your post had me all teary. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gregory and Tegan said...

Beautiful post....tears are in my eyes. We leave in 5 days to experience a day like you describe. My heart is all tingly after reading.....just beautiful.
Thank you for sharing these last few days! I remember so vividly when you were finally able to travel....and know it was a year ago. WOW!

Monica said...

beautifully written Autumn and you brought tears to my eyes too. Happy adoption day guys what an amazing little girl you have brought into all of our worlds. thanks.

lori lls said...

xoxo

Very moving set of posts, Autumn. I had forgotten how tiny and wide-eyed she was that day!

Mezmur is gorgeous, and it is a joy to peek into her growth, and Rhett's, via your blog.

Eryn said...

I am loving these posts! This is beautiful!

What a precious day, and sweet girl. Eryn

Christi said...

Beautiful story...thanks for sharing.

Duncan said...

Of course you know what you are doing to your dad and Mezmur's gramps here. . . Beautifully portrayed and heart felt. Rhett's reactions and words of love for his new sister are so amazing and all the photos. . . There could never be any more you could possible ask closer to a perfect experience then what you have. I have looked at Mezmur with the connection of where she is from and what she has in her new family but what always comes to mind the most is how blessed we all are to have that little girl in our family. As to my "Little Girl". . . You did good and what a beautiful family you have. MISS YOU ALL. . . Keep the memories coming. Love ME

Anne said...

So touching Autumn...I'm so glad you have all these pictures...even though you probably wouldn't need them to remember that day.

Lupine said...

I can hardly remember your family before Mez. Your words are beautiful and capture the love that you all share so wonderfully. What a year you all have had, and what a bright and amazing family you are. We are so glad to be a part of your lives. Thank you for making your adoption experience so available emotionally

Jill said...

what a beautiful story. totally made me cry. bittersweet that you know her so well now that you can look back at those photos and see how nervous/scared she was. beautiful.

Renee said...

ohmygoodness all of this is making me cry! so great to read all of this!!