Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Proudest Sewing Moment

The other day I asked Rhett, "Would you like to go to a store and pick out a new backpack for school, or would you like me to make you one?" Rhett said, "I want you to make me one." I said, "Are you totally sure, because we could go to REI and you could pick out a cool backpack?" He said, "Of coarse I'm sure!" He knows how to make a Mama feel good. So, I just finished his Kindergarten backpack.
I'm very proud of this backpack. I didn't use a pattern...I just "winged" it. I couldn't tell you what I did or how I did it, but I'm so proud of the finished result. It's a real backpack.
Every so often a project like this comes along. A project that I think about in bed and in the shower. I know when I'm thinking about a project in the shower it is really important. I figured how I would do the top zipper during one of those important showers. This was another one of those projects that I couldn't stop working on...until I was done. I didn't want to put it down. I did...to feed the kids and what not, but it was hard to put it down. This is another reason I knew it was an important project.
Why yes, I even lined it.
Here is the back.
This is a close up of the outside pocket. This was one of my favorite fabrics. I remember when I bought it...a long time ago. I only bought a half yard. A little went a long way. I used some for Rhett's winter coat a couple years ago and now for his first day of Kindergarten backpack.
Here is Rhett in the coat I made him using the same fabric...a few years ago. I think it is funny how both projects have the same color scheme. I didn't realize this until I was done with the backpack. Fortunately, this coat now belongs to one of our favorite little boy friends, so Rhett won't be wearing this coat and his backpack at the same time.
This backpack was my proudest sewing moment.

11 comments:

Bekah said...

I have great ideas in the shower too!! some of the most lucid moments of my day :)

Sandi said...

That is an amazing backpack. You should be proud of it. Way to go!!!

My husband uses his shower time to think as well. Mine is driving, I get a lot of good ideas and think clearly when driving. Perhaps I should pay more attention to the road but then what would I do without all those ideas. ;-)

lori said...

Yep! It's a keeper! Outstanding. I like the guitar fabric too.

paige said...

proudest and coolest! i wasn't even cool enough to suggest REI. i bow to thee!

Rachel Clear said...

You've done it again, Autumn! You are simply amazing!

Love Rhett's faces. :)

Christi said...

Whoaaaaaa....that right there is the backpack I wanted to pick out for Max. That seriously is such a sweet backpack. However, I was very happy that Max at least stayed away from all the cartoony ones!

Anne said...

Very cool backpack...Rhett is going to be a huge hit.

Duncan said...

Very cool. . . One-of-a-kind backpack for a one-of-a-kind kid. Can't wait to hear about his first day of school adventures. . . I sure am missing you all! ! ! ! We will talk soon. Love Dad

April said...

You are SO talented!!

Cloverland Farm said...

Hooray!

Mars said...

I LOVE that backpack - it is so awesome! I'm jealous. Charlie's is generic camo print, but yours is the kind I was searching for. :)
Good job, seriously. You are so talented.