Sunday, November 7, 2010

African Elders of PDX

I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would like with this group of elders, but the time spent has been amazing. A couple of weeks ago I was able to join the group to take the elders to see their art at the yogurt shop. The experience was wonderful on so many levels.

First, our van was full of Ethiopian women speaking Amharic while Mezmur got kisses and caresses on the cheek all the way to the yogurt shop from the five women. To say it moved me would be an understatement...it absolutely brought tears to my eyes.
Second, the looks on their faces when they saw their art on the wall and read their profiles that Lori wrote about them was so joyful. They feverishly pointed and went from one print to the next admiring their art and all the other art on the wall.
Third, I loved seeing this artist and his response when Lori and I told him about a customer who bought three of his prints for her adopted son's room. He is my favorite artist. His paintings are abstract and the colors are so beautiful. He has a natural talent for art. It is amazing that he picked up his first paintbrush just a few months ago when art was introduced to this group of elders. Lori wrote a great post about this artist and our visit to Yo Cream here.

Fourth, I loved seeing Mezmur with these elders and I loved seeing the response from these elders about Mezmur. This man insisted he take Mezmur on his lap and I take a picture. If you know Mezmur, you know she loves any extra attention she can get.
I feel so privileged to be able to work with Lori and these elders to help them continue with their art.
I hope I have many more opportunities like this one...
Every print sold will help provide art supplies for the art class at Africa House.

6 comments:

Paul Francis and Jana Bree said...

very cool, we want to hear more soon!

April said...

Very very cool!

Viv and Pete said...

Very touching! Can't wait to hear more and I hope that someday soon I will be able to see these beautiful prints!

Eryn said...

I am so behind on blogging....glad to catch up with yours. What a fun experience!!

Duncan said...

Another amazing post, it was very moving. I don't believe I have ever seen such a sweet expression on Mezmur's face in the photo of her in the lap of one of the elders. Hard to explain the difference in her face in this great photo. Something there in her eyes and behind that smile. What a great exchange for everyone. Such blessings for all. I can feel why you were so moved. . .

Duncan said...

Another amazing post, it was very moving. I don't believe I have ever seen such a sweet expression on Mezmur's face in the photo of her in the lap of one of the elders. Hard to explain the difference in her face in this great photo. Something there in her eyes and behind that smile. What a great exchange for everyone. Such blessings for all. I can feel why you were so moved. . .