Monday, December 20, 2010

The Plan

A mom, a baby, and a Christmas tree at 25 weeks.
This may be a little early to be talking about this, but it is constantly on my mind. Let me first say...above all else we pray for a healthy baby...this is the MOST important thing.

Now, onto the serious stuff.

My goal...to have a completely different birth experience than I had with Rhett.

A little back story. I went into labor with Rhett on my due date. I had NO birth plan. I didn't want the pressure of a birth plan. I wanted to birth without epidural, but I promised I wouldn't be too hard on myself if I needed an epidural. After being in labor for almost 20 hours...I needed an epidural. From then on it was a downward spiral. Pitocin, baby's heart beat in distress, push for 3 1/2 hours, emergency c-section, had to be put to sleep, and Dan couldn't be in the room. We didn't get to hear, "It's a boy." We didn't get to hear the first cry. I couldn't stay awake the first time I held Rhett. This was definitely not what we thought would happen. It turned out he was posterior and almost 10 pounds. The OB didn't know he was posterior until the c-section. Above all the disappointment...we had a HEALTHY baby.

Now, I have a plan. I know what I want. I will not let the OB give me pitocin, I will try not to get an epidural (I still won't be too hard on myself if I need an epidural), I will stand up for myself, I will make SURE the baby isn't posterior before I push for 3 1/2 hours, I will make sure the person who gives me the epidural is experienced, and I will have a Vbac (Vaginal Birth After C-section). I will not have a C-section unless we (Dan, me, and the OB) determine that it is necessary (Breech, posterior, or emergency) .

The plan...After the holidays I will be going on a low-carb diet to help the baby stay smallish, I will do everything I can to help the baby not be posterior (Did you know there ARE things you can do?), I will demand more from my OB, and I will have a Vbac, because I CAN.

I have a fabulous OB, who not only is ok with a Vbac, but she said if we think a C-section is necessary, I can go into labor. The thought of scheduling a C-section makes me very sad. I want to go into labor.

In the mean time I'm reading and planning. This was a great article that has helped to empower me. I'm also daydreaming about pushing this baby out, hearing the gender, hearing the first cry, and being awake for the first feeding...this daydream is amazing and brings tears to my eyes every time.

14 comments:

April said...

You can do it!

Christine said...

Yes, you can!

The Coys said...

This sound so much similar to my first birth as well! Didn't dilate with the pitocin, emergency C, and with my VBAC attempt, I didn't dilate with pitocin again. I wonder if some people are just averse to it? I did end up having a C section again, but was awake and it was nice to be alert for those first few moments. I hope yours go smoothly and the way you planned.

♪~Jenn~♪ said...

I am so excited for you Autumn! Reclaiming birth can be such a healing experience that can have a ripple effect in all areas of your life. I'd like to offer you some tools for your tool box. The first is a website that has so many tips/tricks/tools for helping your baby be in an optimal birthing position: http://www.spinningbabies.com/

the next is a series of birthing from within childbirth prep class offered in your area. These classes provide you with pain coping techniques as well a deeper understanding of yourself/fears/visions. : http://www.awakening-wisdom.com/

A women whom I assisted in birth last year used hypnobabies: http://www.hypnobabies.com/ she was also having her second child after a cesarean birth.

I hope these things are helpful for you!

Merry Christmas and Happy Solstice!
Jenn~ (who reads often but doesn't comment often :)

Christina, Tyler & Logan said...

Go Autumn!!!

I hear that so much about pitocin, putting baby in distress. Happened to me with baby number one. I was determined to have a vbac with number two and it was a success. I also did it drug free and know you can do it too! I wanted some at the time and they didn't get there fast enough. I would do it again. I'm crazy saying that, but I would. After over 41 weeks I didn't go into labor on my own though, the doc admitted me and broke my water. Great experience, I hope you can have that too.

courtney rose said...

My doula heart is with you....

Autumn, you can. You can, you can, you can.

Marta and Josh said...

Your body knows the way...I believe whole heartedly that you will be able to do this! I'm so happy you found a doctor willing to work with you & that you are so educated and know how to help your baby and you enjoy the birthing process!
Enjoy your experience & the happy healthy baby at the end is the ultimate reward.
-Marta (godmother to my beautiful niece who was adopted from Ethiopia...that's how I started reading about you!)...and a homebirther. =)

Mis & Steve said...

Autumn I would love to talk to you!!! Maggie was posterior for the first 32.5 hours of labor and I have a ton of techniques on how to make you and baby comfortable. She didn't roll over until she had a little help from the midwife as she entered the birth canal.

Maybe we should plan something after the holidays. You still need to meet Maggie!

semiferalmama said...

Wow, you are about to get lots of advice from lots of people. And here is mine...
I used Hypnobabies. On the one hand I thought it was totally goofy and didn't really believe in it. On the other hand, I am absolutely sure it is the tool that got me through my birth unmedicated. It is an excellent tool to have. Order your cds now (if I still had mine I would send them to you.) I also have a friend who has done both Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies and she recommended Hbabies.
Also, I had my acupuncturist induce my labor (since the only MD at my mid-wives office was threatening to induce me if I went 5 minutes past due - because I was OLD.)
I know she also has lots of success flipping babies.
See if you can find an acupuncturist now (if you don't already have one)who is experienced with dealing with pregnancy and labor. Mine is in Philomath - probably too far of a drive for you.
I have two friends who had successful VBACs in the past couple of months. You can do it.

Duncan said...

The power of faith, your thoughts and your stirring words will be enough. Of course the power of positive knowledge won't hurt either. You will be able to gain all the information you need for everything you envision. Not to mention the amazing support your have from your friends and family. No doubt in my mind you are on your way to a happy and healthy birth and birthing experience. I loved this progress photo, the composition is perfect, it brought a smile and tears to my eyes at the same time. . . Go figure!? Love to ALL!!!!-!

Leah said...

Hey Autumn,
You look fabulous! Check out that awesome belly.
I was given Cervadil to get things moving when I was 10 days beyond my due date with baby #2. It was so much better than Pitocin. I don't know if it's right for everyone, but it would be good to know about.
We miss seeing you and Mez at the PG on Fridays!
Leah

Stacie said...

Good for you!! My sister is a midwife (in Eugene!) and I'm always fascinated by her stories and how serene the births sound compared to some of my friends stories! I think a birth plan is a wonderful idea and I will be thinking happy birth thoughts and sending positive energy your way! :)

handfull of johnsons said...

YEAH!!!

lori said...

Autumn! I am digging your belly shots, especially the one you posted on Jan 8. SO PRETTY.

Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing your plans. I think most women learn things from their first births, no matter the setting. I sure did.

It sounds like you are doing a lot of thinking and research, and I don't know if you like outside suggestions or not, but I'm gonna throw this out there. I gather that an all-natural birth in a hospital is totally possible but more challenging than in other settings, because of pressure to succumb to the hospital's time lines and protocols, even if you don't feel they apply to you. And because of the anxiety many women feel in that setting. Anxiety and birth do not mix! But again and again, I read and hear that having a trained doula makes a WORLD of difference - in a woman's perception of pain, her confidence, stamina, the whole bit.

I personally don't know what I would've done without my doula. She was even still in training (!!), but knew exactly what kind of pressure to apply to my back, how to include and work with Jason, and what to offer by way of little comforts like Chapstick or another swig of Gatorade. It was like having an extension of my best self present, pushing me onward.

Whatever your choices, and whatever happens (because none of us knows until it actually happens, no matter our best plans, eh?), I am so excited for your family to welcome this new life. You are a beautiful woman and mom.