Monday, September 12, 2011

Summers End

This was the summer of survival. We didn't get out too much. We didn't even have one trip to "the farm." Crazy for us. A 7:30 bedtime, avoiding melt downs, and just keeping the peace was our survival this summer. A few weeks of summer camp for Rhett and one day a week school for Mezmur was also survival. This gave me some "one on one" time with the big kid and the baby.


All of these photos I found on my phone. I figured they told a good story of our summer of survival.


Smoothie date with the big kid and baby. When Mezmur is away...Rhett can be a real pleasure to be around...and the same goes for Mezmur. I remember this was a real peaceful moment. Rhett holding the baby while I sipped on coffee after playing at the park and a long walk.

Mezmur and Adi. I love this photo...it just says "summer" to me.

Happy hour play date! This was my favorite day of the week. Us moms would indulge in a delicious beverage and the children would run wild around the street going from house to house to tree house. The kids thought it was a play date for them and the moms thought it was the perfect way to get rid of the kids for a couple hours. Even though I still have two little girls stuck to my hip, it was all about the adult conversation and cocktails...survival.

Snow cone Friday. We had four weeks of swimming lessons. On Friday we got snow cones. While I thought maybe I was being a strict parent by not letting my children indulge everyday after lessons...I had to set a boundary, otherwise this would be all they would talk about all week! Snow cone Friday was a great thing for us to look forward to all week. What possessed me to sign the kids up for four weeks of swim lessons five days a week? Survival. It was a great way to separate the big kids from the fighting and give me a "break" in the afternoon, which is the toughest time of the day with the fighting...and they thought it was all about them. They loved it!

Summer finally came two weeks before school started. Although, I must say I'm more of a spring and fall kinda gal. The kids know when mommy gets grumpy she is either too hot or too cold. We spent a lot of time at parks this summer. Although, it was tough. I would go to big parks with water features with Dan and the low key parks I could handle by myself. I never wanted to be the mom who was afraid of how her own kids would act when it was time to go, but alas...this summer, that was me. We would usually go to the park with friends and make a deal to leave together to make my life a little easier...survival.

Luckily, our "third wheel" was mostly enjoyable company on our eleventh anniversary date. Dessert was her favorite, because at the "adult" restaurant she was so bored. We were wishing there was a doorway with a Johnny Jump Up while we were trying to enjoy our focaccia with butternut squash butter and Pinot Noir.

I'm sure a teacher or two would say...this punishment might instill a dislike for writing, but this is the new discipline in our house. Not only does it teach an important lesson about how we treat people, but he also practices his writing skills. Oh, and gives me a 30 minute break from the drama that is Rhett...survival.
I'm proud to say that I survived the summer. Who is with me to bring full year school to the Portland school district?


P.S. I love my kids and love to be with them, but sometimes they are very hard to live with.

6 comments:

Rachel Clear @ Clearly Speaking said...

Ha! Love Rhett's writing assignment.

And I loved this post. I like it when people keep it real by posting what REALLY goes on, and not ONLY the good stuff. I'm sure you handled the summer marvelously considering you have two big kids and a baby. I don't know how parents do it.

Great pix. Great post. Great job, mama.

Duncan said...

The writing assignment reminde me of the start of The Simpson's Show... Glad to see you survived the summer and Rhett's writing skills have improved for the start of school. I love the photos, that snow cone looked as big as Mezmur's head or at least as big as Mavis' cheeks. I can't wait to pinch those cheeks. Love to all!!!!! AND Especially to YOU & DAN!!

Christi said...

Oh man, your P.S. is so true.

Did you do swim lessons at Grant?

leslie said...

Imagine the fighting that goes on between your two big kids- times 30. That is why I pray we never have year round school in Portland! Oh Autumn, you really are an inspiration. I'm not sure how you manage three kids so gracefully. I'm with Rachel, thanks for posting "real life." So much of what you posted mirrored many of the moments in my house this summer and I only have one big kid and one baby. I had no clue how challenging being a parent was going to be- or how incredible. Looking forward to catching up with you at school before long.

Mrs. C in NC said...

Just wanted to say that we have year-round school where I live and teach (Raleigh, NC), and I LOVE it! Kids have nine weeks of school and three weeks off. There are four rotations, and then you're in the next grade. Teachers are more focused and accomplish more. The kids don't regress like so many do with the big three-month break. It's a win-win-win (teachers, students, AND parents!).

Sarah in NC
mother of three, including two awesome Ethiopians

Mrs. C in NC said...

...and thanks for keeping it real. I have to echo Rachel Clear's comment of appreciation for those you paint a realistic picture.

Motherhood isn't all rainbows, butterflies, and puppy dog kisses.

It's great but difficult much of the time. I had no idea...