Monday, March 19, 2012

3 Years and Introducing Vern the Owl

Three years ago we were meeting this little girl. We DO NOT call it "gotcha day." We did talk about the day we met her and looked at her "special Ethiopia book." This year she asked, "Is she my birth mother?" Pointing to one of the nannies holding her in one of the photos. No, baby girl she isn't, but that woman really loved you. The questions will get tougher every year.

This little girl is still full of life and "sass sauce." She has days that she says she wants straight hair, but most days she says she LOVES her curly hair. We sure love it. She requests hairstyles these days and does a great job sitting still, because she really wants braids and beads. It makes me so happy, because there are days that I get to sit with my girl for an hour or two, praising her for being so still and patient, and my creative outlet for the day was put into Mezmur's hair. It's a win/win.

Let me introduce to you the new member of the family. This is Vern the owl.

He was created by an awesome local artist...a neighbor.

He was created for and donated to Rhett's school auction and we won him! Sure Dan "hovered" a bit, but in the end...he went home with us.

We love him.

See what I mean? Sass sauce...

6 comments:

sarah said...

I love the painting! I need to see it in real life to appreciate the actual size. (yes, I think I just invited myself over to your house...)

3 years?! I can't believe it's already been that long. It's funny - I can't remember what your family was like without Mez, yet it seems like it's been less than three years.

Ted and Lori said...

That is an amazing painting. And amazing hair. And amazing little girl. And an amazing family for many reasons, including the prohibition of the term "gotcha day."

Rayna said...

Wow, 3 years! We call it family day and we always go out for dinner (Hopworks) since sometimes good things are made by other people for our family :). Questions do get harder every year, but I think kids understand stuff and take it in stride when it's just a normal part of their life. At least so far...

April said...

Happy 3 years!! I remember the day you flew to Ethiopia and of course every detail you could tell me about your trip to Ethiopia and of Mez and of Zora. I watched the video you sent me of Zora 5 million times! This is a connection with you and your family that I am grateful for.

Zora is also asking lots of questions lately, which I am doing my best to answer. It is sometimes painful for me because I don't want her to hurt, but I just try to be honest. I find that she is mostly very pragmatic, but I know as she understands more deeply the questions will get harder.

XO to all of you. Can't wait to see you in May.

Duncan said...

I can't wait to see where Vern gets to perch in your house. Mezmur is so bright and full of life, "sass sauce" and all. She knows alot and she will learn more as she goes. Mezmur will always know who her family is and where she came from. I beleive meant to be is meant to be, the rest are just reasons as to why it was meant to be. I know there is so much more to this I don't understand. I do know I love that little girl. Also, you and her hair never cease to amaze me. I love you all. . . .

rachel said...

Oh autumn her hair is amazing! So beautiful - as is M. you are very talented! And the owl is fantastic.