Monday, April 16, 2012

Keeping It Real

I call this photo, "holy shit," because that's what I thought when I got out of the shower and saw Dan standing in the middle of the family room drinking his morning coffee...in the middle of this...Yowza.

Culprit #1...Mavis. Here she is taking all the clean clothes off the chair and throwing it onto the ground. It NEVER ends here. Dan and I are constantly reminded of a class we took in undergrad. Professor Michael said, if you have kids...you just have to learn how to be ok with a messy house. It's true, but this scene drives me crazy. I ask Dan, "Isn't it so nice when the house is clean?" He says, "If the house was clean all the time we wouldn't appreciate it as much." Sad, but true. So, this is how we will live...until the kids move out...I guess.

Culprit #2 is Rhett. He was inspired by cute Caine of Caine's Arcade to create his own arcade game. Resulting in the recycling once in the recycling bin being taken out and spread all over the room to create this can basketball game. If you haven't watched that video of Caine...you should...so sweet.

It really inspired Rhett. So much that he had a "stomach ache" at school today and had to come home early...hummm.

I'm off to clean the house now. Don't feel too bad for me...the house cleaner comes tomorrow.

5 comments:

Christi said...

Great post.

sarah said...

Ha ha ha! This totally made me laugh. I love your family. :)

Duncan said...

Well I now know the "Caine Connection" with this post. An amazing story and the video IS touching. You need to have Rhett create a card board game that picks up the family room when it's played. . . Now that would go viral! I didn't see that Mezmur was mentioned in the messy house. I know she's too busy with her hands on her hips. . . You got to love the Lapour crew. Miss you all. ME

rachel said...

haha! i was just going to post something similar. the sad thing? your 'holy shit' photo is our house on a daily basis. d-a-i-l-y basis. i love (your) Dan's perspective. i read it to my Dan and he said, "If our house was clean all the time, I'd wonder who kidnapped the kids... or if your mom was in town." so it goes...

Michelle said...

Ha! I love it. I had a similar reaction to Rachel's - doesn't look that bad to me! ;) I've found that lowering my (admittedly already low) standards is an excellent coping strategy. And I don't even bother to tidy up when people come over anymore - this is how we live. And you have one more kid in the mix! I am so, so glad to hear that you have a house cleaner. Good self care, mama. ;)