Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mavis Miriam At 16 1/2 Months

Mavis has become a toddler.  She can keep up with her brother and sister like a champ and is a tough little girl.  She is a bruiser and when she falls and gets hurt she only cries for a second.  She will ask to nurse usually, which is still the cure all for her.  "Na?"  Probably TMI, but she will pinch my other nipple while she nurses.  Making public nursing interesting.  I can't seem to break her from this habit, because in the middle of the night I'm half asleep and just don't have the energy.  She still prefers to nurse for most of her nutrition.  She will rarely eat the food I put in front of her unless it is a cracker, chip, or sweet.  Obviously she isn't hurting nutritionally...
 Ask her where her "boo boos" are and she will lift her dress or pants to reveal her knees. 
 We can't seem to get her knees healed, because she falls on her knees constantly...keeping up with her brother and sister.
 She will let out a sweet little whimper when I ask to see her "boo boo."
 Mavis loves to draw and bite the tips off markers.  She is constantly asking for paper and something to draw with.  Constantly.  She will scream and demand if I give her the wrong thing...like, if she wanted a certain marker.
 These curls kill me.
 She also loves to eat chalk.
 She is a busy girl.  She puts all of our shoes away for us if she sees them lying out and she loves going in her stroller for a walk.  
She is still waking up 3-4 times a night on a GOOD night.  Don't even ask me about the bad nights...
While having three kids has made me a totally laid back parent...I wouldn't say Mavis is the laid back third child I was expecting.  She is just as high maintenance as her brother and sister.  I'm exhausted.  I know it will get easier and I know just when it gets easier I'll miss where we are now...I think.

7 comments:

rachel said...

oh man, autumn, our baby has been a tough sleeper, too. she was doing great for awhile - still sleeping with us, but not waking often. but when we were in an apt while our house was being fixed up, she would wake sometimes every 15-30min for 3.5 weeks. she is getting in four teeth now and was doing that again. she still has never slept in a crib (she'll be 10 mo old soon). i'm thinking of having dan sleep by her for 4hours while i sleep upstairs. she's also been on this jag where she takes an evening nap and then stays up til 2a. the other kids have been staying up late too - til at least midnight - then we all sleep in. but it means i am literally with my children 24/7. i cannot ever leave this baby, so dan and i have hardly any time alone.

you know what really helped iris is the chiropractor. that got her out of her bad sleep jag at the apartment. i've been thinking of taking her again, but the last two nights have been good and i really , really do not want to haul four kids into the chiro, esp since we always have to wait. maybe it's worth a shot for M, though?

rachel said...

hey autumn, i'm back for another comment. :) i wanted to tell you - maybe you've heard this before, but if you'd like M to stop playing with your other nipple, one thing you can do is to buy a long necklace with something on the end that she can play with - like a stone or even beads and then you can move her hand from your nipple onto the necklace. they even make necklaces just for that, called nursing necklaces, or something.

i also wanted to tell you, if it's any consolation, sometimes i worry about missing these days, too. i nursed my two older kids til almost three and they slept with me until 18 mo. then breastfeeding didn't work with e, nor did co-sleeping and after a year and 9 months of doing neither, i was truly dreading going back to both at the end of my pregnancy with Iris. Dreading it. Like I would talk to my husband about it at night at the end of my pregnancy.

Now that I'm here with all the hormones on board, I again wonder if I'll miss it - but then knowing how much I enjoyed being able to stretch out and night and sleep 8 hours uninterrupted and also the freedom of not breastfeeding in both attire and in needing to be back to avoid a clogged duct - I think I probably won't miss it. Especially since I've spent so many years doing it. Hope that makes sense.

Julie said...

Oh my gosh is she cute, and oh my gosh am I tired just thinking about how tired you must be.
Miss you all!
Julie

Emma said...

It is not that I am glad to hear your baby is a bad sleeper but it is nice to know I am not alone in that. My nearly 18 month old still wakes up a minimum of 3-4 times . My 4 year old was the same way and then between 2 1/2 and 3 she suddenly started sleeping REALLY well. I am hoping the same will happen with the baby

Duncan said...

Sorry I have no nursing or sleeping through the night advise or suggestions. I can't believe Mavis is that age already, time flys by. We have missed alot and can't wait to catch up some on our up coming visit. She looks like a warrior, "The Boo-Boo Warrior". I would assume she would need to be a tough cookie. I love she loves her drawing. She is a doll and hope to get some hugs very soon. . . Love to All!!!!! Gramps

Duncan said...

I forgot. . . OH those curls are too cute. Looks like she will be looking like Shirley Temple pretty soon. . .

Duncan said...

Back again. . . Not to mention those blue eyes. Love to ALL!!!!! Missing you today!